This comforting, nourishing Italian soup that’s thickened with beaten eggs is a refreshing alternative to chicken noodle soup.
Prep Time: 15 min.
Makes: 4-6 servings
6 cups home-made or sodium-reduced chicken broth
1 (250g) carton Naturegg™ Omega Pro™ Liquid Eggs, well shaken
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 tbsp. chopped parsley leaves
1 tbsp. each all-purpose flour and lemon juice
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp. each freshly ground nutmeg and pepper
Bring broth to a boil in a large saucepan. Stir liquid eggs with Parmesan cheese, parsley, flour, garlic, nutmeg and pepper until combined but not frothy. Reserve.
Reduce heat under the broth to low. Slowly pour the egg mixture into the soup, stirring once or twice. Remove the saucepan from the heat. Cover and let stand for 5 minutes. Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Make an Asian-style soup by substituting green onion for the Parmesan cheese and by using sesame oil for the nutmeg. Add 1 tbsp. minced ginger with the eggs.
- Stir in 4 cups of baby spinach leaves just before adding the egg mixture.
- Try serving this soup with torn pieces of day old crusty bread instead of crackers for an authentically rustic Italian meal.
- Stir in a bit of hot sauce for a spicy twist.
- To reduce sodium even further, substitute water for up to 2 cups of the chicken broth.
Nutrition Information — per serving*
Saturated Fat: 2g
Dietary Fibre: 0g
(*1/4 recipe or 1 3/4 cup soup)
Recipes provided courtesy of Burnbrae Farms Ltd.
To learn more about brain boosters and Alzheimer’s, visit Alzheimer Society Ontario